Monday, November 15, 2010

where do i begin

Yes hello.

I know what you're thinking: "But Corbin, you barely fill up one blog! You think you can handle TWO? Psh!"

Well, I've created this one to talk about theatre. Thoughts on theatre, reviews of shows I've seen, thoughts on plays I'm reading, etc.... I felt like it merited its own place instead of gettin tossed into my "life" blog. So here we go!

I've been reading a LOT of plays lately. As a result, some friends of mine and I have started an official "script club", if you will, and now we're on round two. We're going to be reading 4 plays between the 4 of us and then discussing once all the passing around has been done. Here's #1 for me:

"The Violet Hour" by Richard Greenberg


(in case you can't tell, yes, that's Robert Sean Leonard)
 Where do I begin? I must say I'm surprised I haven't heard of the playwright, after looking over his scriptography (there's a new word for the day)... He's been a very active and consistent playwright, winning lots of rewards for his work, and this is one of his "best" (according to critics).

The year: 1919. The city: Manhattan. A period piece, you're thinking? In New York? Hm. And then I'll be interested to tell you it's essentially about time travel. Oh yes, this was an interesting piece.

So this guy John is starting a publishing company and he only has one problem: What in the hell does he publish? A good friend wants him to publish his book (which is, literally, millions of pages long, but uncannily good) and his love interest wants him to pubish her book (a captivating memoir that John is as much in love with as he is her.) John's problem is, as with most men, commitment. He doesn't want to commit to either one for fear that they won't sell, and he'll be left shirtless in the process. And then, on the one day this all comes together, a machine is delivered to his office.

By whom? What does it do? We don't know the answer to the first question, but we eventually find out the answer to the second: it spews out, page after page after page, books from the future. Books from the end of the current century. And the revelations these books provide are shocking and disturbing.

The play is a poetic and insightful journey into the age old question of our decisions and their far reaching consequences. Can what we do ever be undone? If we could we change the past or the future if we wanted, would we? Should we?

The writing in this play reminded me of the style of August Wilson: sometimes it took poetic liscence to dialogue but for the good of the play and its message. The characters were all very interesting, each with brilliant and lively personalities. The story was rich, fun, and page turning. I really liked it over all. It certainly has my recommendation.

Anyway. Work's almost over and I've got to go. I think this is a good start.

Until next time,
I am THEATRON!
gOD of the THEATRE

No comments:

Post a Comment